Monday, November 14, 2011

A Seasonal Idea, and not just for this season

I have been trying to find the words to express an idea.  A holiday, seasonal idea.  My problem is that this idea triggers a hundred other ideas, commentaries, opinions and I haven’t been about to figure out how to not go off on a tangent!  Plus, I find myself getting very keyed up when thinking about the subject(s) and tend to find myself on a soap-box by the time I’m done.

Here’s my warning….. I couldn't avoid the soap box.  Sorry!

And….here’s the idea…….Think global.  Act local. 

I know what you’re thinking.  “This isn’t a new idea!”

You are 100% correct.  However, now, more than ever, I think this idea needs to be embraced and put into practice. 

Our economy is in the toilet!  Many believe it’s going to get worse before it gets better.  Frankly, I’m not sure what I believe about the future.  But what I do know is this – if I buy a locally-sourced product or service from someone in my local area, then my spending will benefit my local economy.  Period!  This isn’t a fairy tale.  My dollar can and will have an impact on the life of my neighbor (not in a literal ‘the guy next door’ sense). 

I do feel that we can impact our economy by practicing better spending habits.  Spending locally can create a ripple effect, thereby impacting our state’s economy and hopefully our national economy.  The point is, that it has to start somewhere.  Right?  So, why not you?  Why not now?

The holiday shopping season is upon us.  If you must buy gifts (this one of the tangents that I kept getting caught up in….expect to see a blog on consumption at some point), then buy a product or a service from your home town.  A gift card to have mom’s car detailed, a handmade scarf from a holiday bazaar, a massage or facial from a locally owned salon.  There are hundreds of small businesses in our communities that are struggling to stay in business and you can be a part of their success. 

I know that some people will argue that the prices at Walmart or Costco are less.  I cannot argue with that.  The cost of items may be less, but the prices we are paying in our communities are certainly higher.  So, instead of buying a Cordless Wine Opener from Costco for $27.99, drive to your local vineyard or winery a buy a bottle of their wine instead.  This is just one example of how you might re-tool your shopping list. 

I suspect many of you will have one excuse or another about why you cannot spend this way, but I suspect that most of these are just that, excuses, driven by self-absorbed, egoistical consumerism…on some level.  If you plan to spend money on buying gifts this holiday season, then don’t give me the “we can’t afford it” spiel.  I’m not buying it. 

If you are a part of the 99%, like my family is, then you can choose to stop spending your money to line the pockets of 1%.  I encourage you to give your money to the other 1%ers in your town, in exchange for goods or services. It's really quite easy, and trust me on this one -- satisfying.  

2 comments:

  1. Coming for a local business owner, and family member to many other owners, this couldn't be more true. Do your neighbors a favor. Believe me, goodness will come back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe no one pointed out my error!! It's there and pretty obvious, if you stop and read it, literally. I think that I got caught up in writing it, and people got caught up in reading.....so we all overlooked it. LOL! Let me know if you discover it. I'm totally okay with constructive critisism.

    ReplyDelete