Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Words


Words have energy.  Once spoken they cannot be retracted.  Just like the pebble thrown in a pond, words spoken, written or read will create a ripple affect.  Often time the person delivering the words will never know their impact on the person(s) receiving them.  

I am always reminding my children to pay attention to their words.  What they speak matters.  Whether they say it in their head, or out loud.  There is a very different energy created when they say, “I can’t do it”, rather than “I haven’t been able to figure it out yet.”  One creates energy of defeat, and the other creates energy of hope.  I want my children to always be hopeful.  I want my children to be positive and to constantly be seeking the good in life.   

In my role of parent I try to always practice what I preach, because I know that is really how children learn to be adults, parents, partners in relationships, and a friend.  Using my words to create positive energy is part of what I practice, daily.  It’s become a habit for me now.  I also find myself listening to how people use their words and if their words match their actions.  Maybe not so surprising, I find that people use phrases that regularly do not support what I see by the actions in their lives.  I often wonder if they realize the inconsistency of what they say and what they do. I suspect not.   

If you find yourself at odds with the world, try reframing your perspective with words.  I know it’s been powerful in my life.  I’m hoping that one day it’s powerful in the lives of my children. 

Here are some words and phrases that I encourage my girls to exclude from their vocabulary: 

  • “I can’t”
  • “I’m bored” (Say this in many households in my family and you might find yourself cleaning the toilet.  It always needs to be cleaned, and is a perfect job to avert boredom.  So says my oldest sister!)
  • “I don’t know”


Will there be things in life that you truly can’t do, or won’t know?  Of course!!  The purpose is to not let these phrases become habits of speech.  The purpose is to THINK about what you say and determine if it’s true or authentic.  Take 30 seconds to figure out if there is a better, more affirmative, way to say what you really mean. 

Try letting your words ripple in the world around you…creating positive energy for you and others.  Don’t forget about the words you use in your head; your self-talk. Those words may be more important for your overall perspective on life than the ones you speak out loud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment